Welcome to the home page of my advice column for introverts.
I answer questions online about any part of life – from career and business, to social life and romantic relationships. If it’s in the ballpark of living as an introvert, let’s talk about it!
I’m answering questions occasionally and I do love to hear from you. (Contact options listed below.)
In the past it was a syndicated advice column for introverts on Huffington Post and Quiet Revolution. I am open to other advice column opportunities as relates to introverts.
For now, I like answering questions on my blog and via Facebook Live video.
You can find featured selections that came from real questions via the links below.
My recent “Dear Val” video answers can be found here:
- Dear Val: How should I deal with the energy drain of dating, as an introverted woman?
- Dear Val: Do I really need to have a narrow niche for my business?
If you want to ask questions related to those above topics, you can ask via the Comments section under those videos. Thank you!
You can find other advice column answers online, such as these:
- What if you don’t know what you want?
- What are the best careers for introverts, HSPs, and other sensitive souls?
- What if my career ideas feel impossible?
- How do I answer “What do you do?” when it’s complicated?
- Informational Interviews for Introverts
Life, Socializing, and Relationships questions:
- Managing the Whirlwind of Feelings in a Whirlwind World
- Is it shyness or introversion? Are they connected?
- I’m tired of people asking me “Why are you so quiet?”
- How can I deal with the drain of social events?
- How am I supposed to put myself out there when I’m too introverted for that?
- What to do when you don’t like “small talk.”
- Do I have to become extroverted to be confident?
- Are there other ways to market myself that are more consistent with being an introvert? Or do I just have to suck it up?
- Why do I get so tongue-tied when talking about my work?
- How can it be easier to create the dreaded writing for my new website?
My syndicated advice columns:
You can read my work advice column for introverts that has appeared on Quiet Revolution and Huffington Post via this link, where you’ll find links to my articles:
Val Nelson on Quiet Revolution
Featured Work Advice Columns for Introverts:
- Meet Val Nelson, Our Career and Business Expert
- “How Do I Cope with a Conflict at Work?”
- “I’m Uncomfortable with Online Discussions.”
- “How Do I Handle My Bosses’ Gossiping?”
- “The Secret to Mastering Meetings When You Hate Meetings”
- “How Do I Handle a Tricky Conversation?”
- “Do I Need to Be an Extrovert to be a Good Mentor?”
If you want to hear when new articles are published, be sure to sign up for my “Introvert Inspiration” emails.
How To Send Questions
Anything ringing a bell for you personally?
- Tired of explaining why I’m being quiet or needing quiet
- Surviving meetings
- Networking, the introvert way
- Marketing, sales, and fundraising
- Career direction that aligns with who you are
- Current workplace worries (bosses, social events, money conversations, co-workers, noise, how people see you)
- Career transition (information interviews, salary negotiations, interviews, managing your energy, adjusting to a new workplace)
- Self-employment decisions and taking the leap
- Making your business more aligned with your heart and wallet
- Assertiveness with clients (about money and time limits)
- Tricky conversations (conflict, asking for different work conditions, saying “no”)
- Introverts as leaders
- Supervising introverts and creating introvert-friendly meetings
- Balance and self-care (overworking, breathing, alone time)
- Managing over-thinking and perfectionism
- Public speaking and giving presentations
- Being an agent of change when you hate the spotlight
- How not to get trapped listening to “talkers”
- Shy moment remedies