Many coaches meet with clients by phone (without video), and that’s what I primarily do too.
Why I Find Phone Usually Works Best.
While many people have gotten used to video calls, such as over Zoom, it doesn’t mean it’s the most effective method for the kind of connection and exploration involved in a coaching session.
I encourage phone over video calls for most of our one-to-one meetings, for all these reasons:
Some downsides of coaching on video calls:
- Video calls are known to be hard on our energy. This is probably especially true for highly sensitive people and introverts, and others too.
- Video calls are not as conducive to allowing intuitive insights to flow.
- Video calls can subtlety create more focus on talking from our heads.
- It can feel like being confined in a box.
Benefits of coaching over the phone:
- Less visual stimulation can bring more calm which in turn is the best place for finding our knowing.
- My intuition — and ability to tune in to your strengths, values, purpose, and concerns — is probably stronger without video, and I think it might be true for you too.
- Without the focus on a screen, your mind and body can be more expansive, allowing more full-body wisdom to arise.
- Not being tied to a computer allows us to move around freely, and that can support more fresh wisdom too.
Feel like you need video in order to focus?
Even people who think they need video in order to focus often find that’s not the case with coaching.
We can find out. Notice how you feel when you try it.
I want you to have the best experience so we will figure it out together.
Zoom can be useful for some coaching calls.
For some coaching sessions, Zoom with video can be useful and we might choose to do that at times, for part or all of a session. We can discuss.
My small group meetings (if applicable to you) take place on Zoom. Group calls work best with video.
Even if we are in different countries, we don’t need to use video. If you’re calling me from outside the USA, we will use an app like WhatsApp or Signal for phone calls.
Are You a Coach?
If you’ve found this page because you’re wondering about your own coaching methods, Welcome! I enjoy helping other coaches find their best methods, for business and for coaching. Please see my Welcome Coaches page for more resources for you.