Bridge to Self-employment Course
Especially for Caring Introverts and/or HSPs
Learn how that Scary Cliff can become a Simple Bridge.
Self-employment does not have to be like taking a leap off a scary cliff. I’ll show you a calmer way it can actually work, and become more like a bridge… to freedom.
In this budget-friendly course, you’ll get concrete answers to your worries about money, energy, risk — all with introverted and/or highly sensitive women in mind. You’ll also hear from people like you who are making it work.
Psst: Sliding scale available down to $0.
This is about heart-centered and practical self-employment for solo service professionals (coaches, consultants, healing arts, designers, copywriters, and other services).
Learn the details below. Questions welcome too.
From Val's course participants:
“Tremendously impactful in practical ways. The value of this course is amazing.”
“A great spring board for me to kick off this journey.”
“Remarkably well organized and well done. Amazing.”
“I felt supported all along the way.”
This course is for you if you're wondering:
- How do people go from the stability of employment income to the unpredictability of self-employment?
- What about money before the business is working?
- How will I get steady clients?
- What if I’m risk averse?
- How do I find the energy required for it all?
- What should I focus on while still at the day job?
- When is it time to cut the cord on the day job?
- Could self-employment even work for me?
- How do I know what is the right business idea for me?
- Won’t self-employment be lonely?
We’ll answer those questions and cover:
- Making the money work.
- Getting clients.
- Mindset and getting past fears.
- Managing time and energy (especially important to us introverts/HSPs).
- What to focus on first.
- Knowing when a business idea is viable.
- Business logistics concerns.
- How it won’t be lonely.
- How real people are actually making it work!
Diverse Voices Inside the Course
You’ll hear from a range of people who have taken the leap, or are in the process. They are mostly introverted and/or HSP women. You can see their warmth and wisdom in these photos of them.
They share openly about what makes it work for them — for their energy, sustainability, sense of security. They get real about the bumps too.
Their roles include creatives, a copywriter, non-profit founders, coaches, a ride service founder, an herbalist, and a non-profit consultant. They come from different cultures, ages (30s–50s), and locations.
You’ll love this part! The wisdom they offer is priceless. They have been where you are.
The course helped me to get the wheels turning and confront issues that would normally stay in the feedback loops. In addition, I think the value of this course is amazing. Especially if someone is in a sticky place financially and thinking about changing career paths and feels lost or overwhelmed. It’s a solid value, great content, and you can get a lot out of it. It was a great spring board for me to kick off this journey. Also, Val creates such a safe, non-judgmental space. I actually looked forward to working on the course. That says quite a bit for me. I’ve started a few courses/programs only to stall out.”
~ Anonymous, introvert (Sept. 2022)
In this course, you will get...
- 7 Discovery Lessons.
Each one has a video lesson (including closed captions), a simple worksheet, and tips. By the end, you’ll have created your 1-page Dashboard, with your key insights and next steps.
- Opportunities to connect and ask questions.
Live group calls provide a chance to ask questions, discuss worries, and connect with kindred spirits. You can also ask me questions in writing. You aren’t in this alone!
- Inspiration and hope from role models.
I’ve included inspiring video interviews with people from diverse backgrounds, about how they actually make it work. I add in my own experiences too.
- More relaxed shoulders when you think about self-employment.
Getting answers to plaguing questions, and how it applies to your situation, is so calming!
Plus, you can get $100 USD off (or more) on a private consult, so you can get a sticky area resolved quickly and easily.
About Val, Your Instructor
I took the self-employment leap in 2009, and now I help others with their career and self-employment journeys.
I’m a highly sensitive introvert and I specialize in helping other introverted and/or highly sensitive (HSP) women. (Yes, extroverts are welcome too!)
With a background in teaching and adult education, I enjoy making things easy to learn.
I am in awe at how well laid-out this course is and how reassuring it is – it is laid out so clearly, so simply and removes any implicit fear/ overwhelm with each section. So glad I found it. . . .
The content is tremendously impactful in the most practical way. You made the course feel like a warm, supportive home for learning, growth, inspiration and expansion. The course took me to a place I did not think I could get to before.“
~ Natalya, introvert and HSP
Cost and How To Join
Creating this course is my way of creating a way for you to get support without spending a lot.
You get to choose the rate that applies to you.
All options include the same program benefits described above – including 2 months of live group calls, 2 months access to discounted 1:1 sessions, and long-term access to the lessons.
(No “proof” needed for any option.)
Money back guarantee within 30 days of purchase if not satisfied after trying at least the Course Overview lesson.
for 2 months
Available if you need a break.
for 2 months
Available for those who are Black and/or Indigenous in North America, as a step towards reparations.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll learn the inside story on how people make the shift to self-employment, including both practical and inner concerns.
As an introvert and highly sensitive person, and a specialist in helping others like me, all my courses have our sensibilities in mind, so you won’t be forced to do things that don’t fit who you are.
Here’s how some course participants described their experience inside the course:
I am in awe at how well laid-out this course is and how reassuring it is – it is laid out so clearly, so simply and removes any implicit fear/overwhelm with each section of content, each video. Your voice is also very reassuring. So glad I’ve found it. This course feels like a wonderful fit.”
~ N.S., introvert and HSP
I appreciate hearing from someone about how they made this work and that they went through some of the same scary periods that I’m going through.”
~ Vicki, introvert and HSP
I really liked the bitesized delivery and the mix of ‘theory’ and experiential examples. Recommended.” ~ Anonymous introvert and HSP
It has about 4 hours of course material. This includes time for videos and worksheets.
There are also opportunities to attend live group calls for questions and camaraderie.
You can go at whatever pace works for you. You can also pick and choose the parts that are most interesting to you. I provide guidance for how to make it work for you and your needs.
For motivation, I include incentives to get it done within 8 weeks. But you retain access to the course long term.
I encourage you to attend the included live group calls over Zoom.
There are two group calls per month, available to your over two months. They’re here so you can feel supported and connected, ask questions and learn from each others’ questions and experiences.
Dates/times of the gatherings are weekdays within 10 AM–5 PM Eastern time USA.
Typical times are:
1st Thursdays at 11 AM Eastern time / 8 AM Pacific / 4 PM GMT
3rd Tuesdays at 1:30 PM Eastern time / 10:30 AM Pacific / 6:30 PM GMT
Here’s how an introvert described one of the live calls:
This was really helpful to simply be in the space with others having similar experiences with this journey. Definitely feels like a breath of fresh air to know you’re not alone in it. I see how support and connection is so valuable through this.”
This course is about getting you answers to concerns about making the transition to self-employment in a healthy way, but it’s not about getting you all the way there. It’s a starting place for understanding.
It doesn’t cover all the specifics of how to start a business. But I provide resources for where to find some concrete help from there.
I think the course would help you even if you’re not sure what you would do for your business, because it would help give you a framework for what’s important in making choices.
Plus I think knowing more of the playing field and hearing stories can help you start to imagine new possibilities that you wouldn’t have thought of before.
Believe it or not, lots of people, including me, started dabbling in self-employment before knowing what they had to offer. Some of those stories are inside the course.
I am aware that I have white privilege and many blind spots, so I continue to work on my cultural humility and awareness. I’m committed to anti-racism, anti-sexism, and inclusion of all kinds. I’m not new to the work but I’m far from perfect.
I’m purposely including a diverse range of people in the perspectives you’ll hear from in this course, including diversity of race, age, class, and cultural background.
The course is especially made for introverted and highly sensitive women because that’s who I’m best able to help. We have particular needs around our work, that I address in the course. The included interviews are all women plus one non-binary trans person.
I always welcome your feedback and suggestions and am committed to being non-defensive.
You can learn more about my Inclusion, Equity, Antiracism, and Reparations Commitment here.
I get it. I have the same worry about taking online classes! Because of that, I tried to think through creative ways to help you stay with it. First by making it engaging and interactive.
Also, I’ve built in support from me, plus opportunities to connect for camaraderie. (Kindred spirit connection makes a huge difference!)
I’ve also built in some incentives to nudge you to work on it within 8 weeks. For instance, you get these extra course benefits within your initial 8 weeks: access to live calls, and an opportunity for a big discount on a private session.
I also provide 8 weeks of guidance, next step ideas, and encouragement via email.
I’m invested in making this a positive learning experience for you. I don’t want it sitting on a shelf either!
They are similar in these ways:
- We could go over similar information.
- There’s individualized support available (although much more so with coaching).
Here are some key differences:
This course has these benefits over coaching:
- Lower price.
- Work on it on your own schedule.
- Great for people who enjoy do-it-yourself.
- Great for those who want a smaller taste before going deeper.
- It’s available anytime, even when Val’s coaching calendar or groups are full.
Coaching has these benefits over the course:
- It’s easier to make progress with more specific guidance on board with you.
- We get in there and do the work together, which adds more ease and fun.
- Built-in accountability structure so your part really gets done.
- A more customized approach to your situation.
- There are often group options where you can find ongoing, dedicated kindred spirit community.
You can combine the two! Such as:
- Some people take the course and then add in a discounted private session, or more, to get unstuck, when needed.
- Some first take the course and then see Val for the next steps in their journey, or for one of her groups. Thus finding a more economical approach overall.
Here’s what will be different than using a business book on your own:
- This course is especially relevant for introverts and HSPs throughout, unlike most business books. Our energy and perspective is a big factor.
- This is more geared for heart-centered solopreneurs, as opposed to growing a bigger business, which most business books are about.
- You can ask me clarification questions at any point along the way.
- You can attend live group calls to discuss your situation.
- You’ll be able to book a private session with a big discount for course participants, to get something unstuck, or for help with some decision-making.
- It includes video interviews with people about how they found their way into self-employment, thus bringing things more to life.
- A supportive course like this is a nice sweet spot between going it completely alone with a book and investing in coaching.
Any Questions? Concerns? Feedback?
Use the form below to send me a note. I’ll get back to you quickly. Thank you.
Or if chatting before joining seems best, book a 15-minute chat here.