If you’re starting a business, check out support resources for starting a business.
The following resources are excellent starting places, primarily for technical aspects of business. None of these will cover what business coaches or business support groups will do for you, which is to dig deep for what you really want, unblock what’s in the way, and move forward with clarity, confidence, and ease.
Free Business Guidance, Resources, and Training
- Small Business Development Centers – free business counseling and low-cost trainings
- SCORE – free small business advice and resources from volunteer retired executives
- Small Business Administration (SBA) resources for managing a business
Small Business Resources and Training in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Small Business Development Center
- Scibelli Enterprise Center (business incubation and support services in Springfield, MA)
- Interactive Communities Network (InComm) – networking and educational events in Western MA
Inspiring Podcasts for Business Owners
Podcasts are free and informative audio or video “shows.” I think of them as radio shows on exactly the topic I want. You can find all kinds of podcast options at iTunes. Listen online or on a device such as your smartphone.
- Duct Tape Marketing – Fantastic interviews with thought leaders in small business and marketing.
- Creative Living with Jamie – Thoughtful interviews and ideas from people courageously bringing their creative pursuits to the front burner.
- The Introvert Entrepreneur – Near and dear to my introvert heart, Beth does thoughtful interviews of successful introverts.
- TEDTalks: Ideas Worth Spreading – Inspiration in the grandest sense — learn about big ideas making a big difference.
Inspiring Books for Small Business Owners
- $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future (2012)
~by Chris Guillebeau
- Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love (2009)
~by Jonathan Fields
- The Tao of Entrepreneurship (2009)
~by Marcia Bench
- The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women: Why Capable People Suffer from the Imposter Syndrome and How to Thrive in Spite of It (2011)
~by Valerie Young, Ed.D.