Coaching is helping someone clarify their vision and achieve their goals by providing an ongoing supportive process. It’s the same idea as working with a personal trainer when it comes to your fitness.
It’s not a “just do it” pushy approach as in the classic sports coach model. I believe life coaching works best when it’s about uncovering the excitement that naturally inspires progress. Like releasing a dam.
Coaching can create movement even when years of therapy or self-help have not. (Therapy and self-help can be very useful but are not suitable for all your goals.)
Here are some good articles about the power of coaching, including the science behind it:
Life Coaching: Seeking a Sense of Purpose (Huffington Post, 1/10/12)
In this article, they feature the particular coaching training/school of thought that I trained with. An excerpt:
“Today life coaching draws its inspiration from a number of sources, including positive psychology, mentoring, sociology, neuro-linguistic programming (“NLP”), mindfulness and even Zen Buddhism.”
Coaching is not a quick-fix approach, although it’s amazing how much can happen with the help of a coach. You should experience increasing clarity and a sense of progress all along the way.
My Structure of Coaching for Best Results
I have found this structure works very well for ensuring progress so this is where my new coaching clients begin:
- Start with one Discovery Session for a stress-relieving boost in clarity. We’ll then both know what makes sense for a coaching program going forward.
- 2 or 3 sessions per month, by phone or in-person. (45-minutes each)
By the end of each session, your next steps will feel clear, easy, and exciting!
- Availability for brief consults between sessions.
- Professional guidance for forwarding your action between sessions.
- Access to my secure online client portal with clarifying worksheets and resources.
- An accountability structure if needed.
- Sharing my expertise on topics such as starting a business, networking and marketing, and finding your voice.
- Access to participate in a small group community of kindred spirits that I facilitate.
We’ll create a structure that works for you, adjusting over time as needed.
You can try things out with one session and gain valuable clarity, with no obligation to go further. Use the Initial Call Request Form to discuss getting started.