Choosing the right web designer from the beginning can save you a lot of money and headaches. It’s easy to choose wrong if you don’t have the inside track on web design. Here are some guidelines.
The Right Web Designer for You…
- Is easy to work with, as proven by references.
- Uses responsive design so it looks good on mobile devices too.
- Offers a content management system (CMS) such as WordPress, so that you can edit your own website content.
- Has a portfolio of websites that look professional to you, and to a web professional that looks under the hood.
- Shows interest and understanding about your particular goals for your website.
- Understands how to get results from a website, not just looking pretty. (Look for a web designer who is also a web strategist.)
- Knows when to refer to others for services outside their field of expertise (such as graphic design, content writing, video production, and search engine optimization).
- Can help you choose qualified graphic designers and experts to complete the website team.
Where to Find Your Web Designer
Take this quiz to see if you’re headed in the right direction.
Which is the most reliable place to find a web designer that can meet your needs?
- A marketing firm
- A web design or web development professional
- A graphic designer
- Your son who’s good with computers
- None of the above. I’m a do-it-yourselfer.
The answer, in my book, is “b. a web design or web development professional.” All might offer web design, but usually it’s the web design firms that have the necessary web training to meet your needs.
Unfortunately, there are web design firms that don’t use the latest technology (which is important for saving you money and headaches), so you’ll need to use some criteria for choosing a web designer, like the list above.
What if you already have a graphic designer or marketing firm you trust? Often they will outsource the web development and then there’s someone between you and your web developer and that can get tricky.
A skilled web developer will be able to work with your existing graphic designers or marketing firm to make sure your brand and messaging are consistent.
You can have it all! You’ll get the best return on investment if you choose the web designer who knows the technology best. You can still have the look you want, great marketing results, and do-it-yourself access.