Like many introverts, I love books. There’s so much richness in there! When I see a shelf of books, I see each book as a little world I can explore and savor.
I’m very picky about which books are worth reading. I start a lot of books, and put them down if they aren’t engaging or useful in some way.
When I find a book I love, I can get a bit evangelical about it. So, indulge me in my sharing some favorites that I think other caring introverted women will enjoy.
Criteria for making this list:
- Engaging, well-written, and entertaining.
- Supportive in some way for quiet-loving women in being true to themselves.
- It inspired me personally.
I’m collecting many more books that I recommend here:
Recommended Books for Soulful Introverted Women
(on career, life, business, confidence, introversion, etc.).
The list below contains my 15 favorites from that longer list.
- The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, by Liz Gilbert
- God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time, by Desmond Tutu
- Callings, by Gregg Levoy
- A Fierce Heart: Finding Strength, Courage, and Wisdom in Any Moment, by Spring Washam
Fear, Courage, Confidence, Speaking Up
- Embracing Uncertainty, by Susan Jeffers
- Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, by Susan Jeffers
- Getting in Touch with Your Inner Bitch (Playful yet insightful comics for when you’re tired of apologizing for wanting a say in your own life. Seems timely right now.)
- Successful Women Think Differently, Valorie Burton
- The Law of Divine Compensation, by Marianne Williamson
- Overcome Underearning, by Barbara Stanny
Novels that Caring Introverted Women Can Love
- The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Fantastic writing. Deep and intense coming-of-age story about a young woman who grew up in foster care who expresses herself in the language of flowers. Every word is rich.
- The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
Wow, spectacular writing, spectacular story about a quiet African-American woman who finds her voice in tough times in the South.