I hear these kinds of questions a lot and feel compelled to write a post to say: YES!
Well, yes with a qualifier. I’ll give you the criteria below.
First, let me elaborate on the common ways I hear that fear expressed:
- “Isn’t the market saturated with that?”
- “Isn’t everyone trying to start a business right now?”
- “Is there really room for me too?”
- “No one is spending right now so why would they buy my services?”
There Is Room for You, If…
There is absolutely room for you in today’s market once you can say all these are true:
- I am clear about my life purpose or calling and am passionate about bringing that to the world.
- I am clear about a particular need in the marketplace that aligns with my calling and skills.
- I have taken a serious look at the numbers and figured out the right price to make it work for me and my audience.
- I’m willing to spend time and money on my business, even before it gives me money.
- I’m willing to tell people what I have to offer.
- I’m willing to ride the wave of faith for a while and ask for help when I feel stuck.
Passion Trumps It All
If you can’t say yes to all the items in that list yet, but you do have passion about your idea, all you need is some extra support to resolve the missing pieces. It is possible!
I believe it is possible for many people, far more than think they can do it. We can always find the overlap between the world’s needs and your calling. (Yes, introverts are great at self-employment too!)
There IS room for you!
Why Am I So Sure?
I see it happen over and over. People who are afraid suddenly find it’s working once they follow a bit of structure and faith.
I see people succeed even without all those criteria fulfilled. Sometimes messiness and “going for it” work. Often, however, it’s at the expense of rest and family time. I’d like you to have more balance and ease, hence the stricter criteria I’m writing for you.
I overworked at first because only half of the criteria were in place. I’m back on track now and can say all the pieces are in place, including down time, and it’s working. I want more ease for you from the beginning.